New Berlin West Vikings soccer drops playoff game vs. Pewaukee

Alex Gress, Staff Writer

On Tuesday night, the New Berlin West boys’ soccer team was defeated by Pewaukee in their WIAA Regional playoff game at Pewaukee High School. The Vikings Soccer team finished 5th in conference with a 7-3-1 record and a 9-8-1 record overall. This is the Vikings’ second time losing to Pewaukee in the last week, having already played each other last Wednesday October 8th at New Berlin West Soccer complex. In that game, Pewaukee came out on top 2-1 on senior night for the Vikings.

The game was played on turf due to the rainy conditions. The Vikings were without defender Justice Dodd and goalkeeper Mason Kazinski, as they both had concussions. In place of Kazinski, Coach Matt Drago had Oscar Delvalle playing goalie.

Pewaukee jumped on top early with Jack Werth, of Pewaukee, heading in a goal at the 1:52 mark. The whole game was played mostly in Pewaukee’s possession. Pewaukee scored again at the 15th minute mark with Alex Goodyear scoring a goal.

Mid-way through the first half, Dustin Pearson and Bennet Bartkuhn both picked up yellow cards. When half time came, the Vikings were down 2-0, and it didn’t look good for the Vikings.

When asked about how the team was holding up at halftime Coach Drago said “our composure was good, playing on turf in these conditions was helpful.”

Second half started and it didn’t get any better for the Vikings. Pewaukee scored again with Griffin Jendy, scoring a goal and that put Pewaukee up 3-0. The Vikings didn’t go down easily in the end. At the 82nd minute, Bennet Bartkuhn scored to make it 3-1, scoring the last goal of the game.

Leading goal scorer, Joachim Granger, said before the game, “We can play good if everyone wants to win and comes out ready to play. Also, we need to come out thinking that we are going to win the game.”

When asked about how his first season went as the Vikings head soccer coach, Coach Matt Drago, said “Good, we had a goal coming in to win conference, but overall it was a good experience.” Drago and all of the other returning players are looking forward to next year and the challenges it will bring.